16 Facts About Mykonos That Will Surprise You
Mykonos is a Greek island located in the Aegean Sea, part of the Cyclades island group. Known for its stunning beaches, vibrant nightlife, and charming architecture, Mykonos is a popular destination for tourists from all over the world. Here are 16 facts about this beautiful island that you may not know.
- Mykonos was named after the grandson of Apollo, Mykonos.
- The island has been inhabited since the ancient times, with evidence of human habitation dating back to the 3rd millennium BC.
- Mykonos is known for its traditional architecture, with whitewashed houses and blue-domed churches dotting the landscape.
- The island is home to several famous beaches, including Paradise Beach, Super Paradise Beach, and Elia Beach.
- Mykonos is also known for its vibrant nightlife, with many bars and clubs staying open until the early hours of the morning.
- The island is home to the ancient ruins of the city of Mykonos, which was destroyed by the Persians in 490 BC.
- The island’s main town, also called Mykonos, is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Mykonos is a popular destination for gay travellers, with many LGBT-friendly bars and clubs.
- The island is home to the Mykonos Windmills, a group of 16 windmills that were once used to grind grain.
- Mykonos is also known for its delicious cuisine, with many restaurants serving traditional Greek dishes such as Mousaka, kopanisti and traditional Sausage locally known as “Louza”.
- The island is a popular destination for celebrities, with many famous faces spotted on the beaches and in the bars and clubs.
- Mykonos is home to several annual festivals and events, including the Mykonos Biennale of Contemporary Art and the Mykonos International Film Festival.
- The island is easily accessible by ferry from the mainland, as well as by plane from Athens and other major cities.
- Mykonos is a popular spot for yachting and sailing, with many marinas and charter companies located on the island.
- The island is home to a number of luxury resorts and hotels, as well as more budget-friendly options for travellers.
- Mykonos is the perfect destination for those looking for a mix of history, culture, and fun in the sun.
In conclusion, Mykonos is a Greek island that has much to offer, from its stunning beaches to its vibrant nightlife, traditional architecture, delicious cuisine and much more. It’s a perfect destination for everyone, whether you’re looking for a luxury vacation or a budget-friendly getaway. With so many activities and attractions to choose from, Mykonos is the perfect place to spend your next holiday.